1180 SHOP STEWARDS
Shop Stewards are elected by their fellow co-workers at their worksite location. The number of shop stewards per worksite location is determined by the number members at that location.
Shop Stewards term of office is 1 year and elections are to be held every September
THE ROLE OF THE SHOP STEWARD
- Protect the interest of CWA 1180 by virtue of ensuring that the terms and conditions of our contracts are adhered to at their work location
- Endeavors to ensure management adheres to policies and procedures
- Conduct site meetings during lunch hours at their worksite
- Regularly attend membership meetings and disseminate information from these meetings to the members at their worksite location
- Help to build the union by enhancing union participation amongst their members at their worksite location
- Get members involved in identifying and solving their workplace situations
- Educates and signs up members about P.A.F. (Political Action Fund) formerly known as COPE.
- Attend steward training and steward assemblies
- Investigate and evaluate members issues: tries to resolve in an informal basis
- Files grievances when appropriate
- Represent members at supervisory conferences, counseling and warning sessions
- Accompany members to meeting with management when member invoke their Weingarten Rights
- Informs union of any information which may affect our members
- Attend union events including but limited to rallies, demonstrations, phone banking and political action events.
- Keeps member informed on union activities, priorities and programs
- Maintain a bulletin board at their worksite location
- Maintain a member roster for their worksite location
- Makes themselves available to the union and its members in all matters concerning either or both